Friday, July 6, 2018

Merry Meet and and Anxiety Tip.


Greetings!

  In the common world, my name is Jen. But here I am Talia Ravenspath. Talia means dew of the gods and Ravenspath is a bit self-explanatory. I am drawn to the celtic pantheon, in particular Morrigan, Lugh, Brigid, Cernunnos and Danu.

Maidin Mhaith (Good morning), my friends.

Here I will share crafty recipes, tarot readings, charms, my thoughts on mental health from the witch point of view, and anything else that may pop up.

What started this post off, in my head, was a request on Facebook for help in dealing with Anxiety.

There are many stones, herbs and other correspondences to help you out with these. In fact, as the new moon is less than a week away, it is a perfect time to work each day towards shedding these stressful, strangling and repetitive thoughts.  Goddess knows that I suffer from anxiety, and many in my life suffer from anxiety. So here is what has helped me break through some of these anxious (and it works with depression as well) thoughts.

Everyone seen the Harry Potter? Do you remember the Devil's Snare? The big plant that squeezed tighter the more you fought it until it killed you? This is anxiety in its physical form. The more you fight it, the more you hold onto it and feed it with anxious thoughts, the more it will tighten its grip on you.


The trick to Devil's Snare, and anxiety, is to relax. If you don't have the possibility of illumination (like Hermione manages and illumination can be seen as a realization or new understanding) than you need to relax into your anxiety with compassion and kindness towards yourself. Literally relax because below that anxiety is not an empty bottom of hell, it is you. Just you and soft ground.

  It really is a kind of surrender, a surrender to your true self that is being strangled by your anxiety, or Devil's Snare.

  In fact, life is like the waves on the ocean or a lake. There are peaks and troughs, but most of life is in the middle either on the way up or on the way down and it begins all over again. So no matter what you are going through, it will pass. This isn't about control, it is about acceptance and letting some of the stress just pass through you by relaxing into it. It's only as real as you make it to be.

  Think about it, when I get anxious, I literally end up with body language that is tight. I am squeezing in together my muscles, my arms are close to my body (often crossed) and my breathing is fast. But if you stretch and take a few deep breaths and literally let yourself relax (visualizing the Devil's Snare you are relaxing through), you can do this. And it gets easier each time you try it.

  Nothing is as easy as snapping a finger or waving a wand. Our personal selves take work. I hope this post works as a Lumos spell for some of you trapped in your Devil's Snare. Just relax and be kind to yourself, you often deserve it. :)

Be well and Blessed Be!
Talia Ravenspath

No comments: